From: Johan Jansson [mailto:johanjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:03 PM
To: tomtzigt
Cc: 'Johan Jansson'; fenics-dev@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [fenics-dev] Application domains

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 01:48:54PM -0400, tomtzigt wrote:
> Would there be interest in a Java-based GUI that tries to do this for
> Fenics. If there is interest, I can give this a try.
>
> Theo

Yes, definitely!

I have started (this monday) to experiment with SWIG to try to get a
Python interface to Ko (a multibody solid mechanics component of
Fenics I'm developing), and it would have to make interfaces to DOLFIN
as well (meshes, coefficient functions, etc.). If you wanted to work
on a GUI it would be a great addition, and both of us would have to
solve some common problems. I think you also would require a
SWIG-generated interface to similar parts of DOLFIN/FFC.

This is the first time I'm using SWIG, and I've only been coding
Python for a few weeks, so it will take me some time before I get up
to speed. Have you used SWIG before? It seems to be the way to go for
this type of thing.

Most of Fenics tends to be written in C++ or Python, but I don't see a
problem using Java for the GUI. It should be straightforward to
interface to the Python components, and something like SWIG can
generate interfaces for Java as well as Python.

  Johan