From: fenics-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fenics-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Anders Logg
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:15 AM
To: fenics-dev@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FEniCS-dev] FEniCS 0.1.0-pre2

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 09:48:50PM +0200, Mandus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can usually fake things such that a 32bit binary can run on 64bit
> linux - for instance I do that with acrobat.
>
> It is however not so easy to build programs on a 64bit linux, either
> for 64bit linux or 32bit linux, using a mixture of 32bit libs (the
> fenics/dolfin libs) and 64bit libs.
>
> I tried to install the binary fenics on my 64bit ubuntu right now. If
> -m32 is added to the cflags and ldflags in the Makefile you can use
> for instance the supplied libdolfin.so.0, only to get another problem
> around the next corner. For instance, ncurses is usually required for
> dolfin stuff, and the dev-version on your 64bit linux is probably
> 64bit. Hence, you end up mixing stuff, which is not good.

The distribution is built without support for curses (--disble-curses)
so that shouldn't be a problem. All other non-standard dependencies
should be included in the distribution. Currently included libraries
are Apbuild, libxml2, UMFPACK and Boost.

> I think a better approach will be to create a 64bit binary version of
> fenics. I guess we can replicate your scripts on my computer, Anders,
> to get this.
>
> Let's talk about it tomorrow :)

Yep. The build-script is available by

    hg clone http://www.fenics.org/hg/fenics

This contains the script that builds the binary distribution.

/Anders

> On 9/18/06, tomtzigt <tomtzigt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > SuSE 10 is an x86_64 target. That would explain why all the binary
> > distributions have a 32bit and a 64bit distribution. Ok, do you or your
IT