AMR

I have been studying the different algorithms for volume meshing and as far
as I can tell, there are two essential interactions with geometry for
meshing algorithms:

1-       Is a point inside or outside the volume delineated by some surface?

2-       Project a point onto the surface if you want to refine a mesh
element, or move a vertex

Secondly, I am trying to understand the issues surrounding moving grids as
they arise in ALE methods. So, here is the question: To do proper AMR on
moving grids wouldn't we need an abstract geometry interface to follow the
geometry properly, and wouldn't it be therefore necessary to start including
a geometry engine of some degree that is more sophisticated than a simple
cylinder object?

Maybe, it would also be good to introduce the background of what made me
struggle with this: I want to build an demo where we have a flow field and
an object in that flow field that can be interactively manipulated, all the
while the solver is going and forces on the object and the fluid are
properly calculated and visualized. Does the current state of FEniCS have
enough of the pieces to build that demo?

Theo

Follow ups