FEniCS book

Dear all,

I have talked to Springer about publishing a FEniCS book and they are
very interested. The plan is to have a draft ready in time for the
FEniCS'09 meeting next summer.

The book will summarize the current state of FEniCS, function as a
reference for users, and showcase interesting applications built with
FEniCS.

I therefore invite anyone interested to review the suggested outline
below and give me feedback (either online or offline). Let me know how
and to which extent you would like to contribute to the book. I have
suggested some chapters below, but it's entirely up to the authors to
form their contribution!

The suggested deadline for contributions (title + authors) is
October 1 2008, with a final deadline for the finished chapters
on May 1 2009, after which we will have a review process.

The book will consist of four parts:

  Part 0:
    Introduction  (20-50 pages)
    Tutorial      (20-30 pages)

  Part I: Methodology (10 x 15 pages)

    This part will contain summaries/reviews of published results,
    but could also contain new results.

  Part II: Implementation (10 x 30 pages)

    This part will give a detailed presentation of our packages and
    their design by the package authors, more in the style of
    tutorials than journal papers. Other contributions may include
    discussions of particular aspects not related to a specific
    package like code generation and interface design.

   Part III: Application (10 x 15 pages)

    This part will demonstrate interesting applications where FEniCS
    has been used as the computing platform. It would be very
    interesting to receive contributions from people outside the
    circle of package authors.

Below follows a list of suggested contributions. This is just from the
top of my head so consider the titles/authors a rough initial value
for further iteration.

  Introduction: Logg (+ others?)
  Tutorial: Langtangen

  Methodology:

    Finite element code generation: Alnaes, Logg, Mardal
    Finite element assembly: Logg + others
    Optimal evaluation of finite element variational forms: Kirby, Scott
    Efficient finite element mesh representation: Karpeev, Knepley, Logg?
    Computing finite element basis functions: Kirby, Mardal
    A gallery of finite elements: Kirby? Terrel? Rognes? Mardal? Logg?
    Stabilized Galerkin: Hoffman, Johnson

  Implementation

    DOLFIN: Logg, Wells, Oelgaard
    FErari: Kirby
    FFC: Logg, Oelgaard, Rognes, Wells
    FIAT: Kirby
    Instant: Mardal
    SyFi: Mardal, Alnaes
    UFC: Alnaes, Logg, Mardal, Skavhaug, Langtangen
    UFL: Alnaes, Logg, Mardal
    Unicorn: Hoffman, Jansson
    Viper: Skavhaug

    Generic linear algebra interfaces: Alnaes, Logg, Mardal, Skavhaug, Wells
    A note on build systems: Knepley, Odegard
    Gotran: Skavhaug
    Exterior calculus: Logg, Mardal
    Sieve?

  Application

    Contributions from CBC
    Contributions from KTH
    Contributions from Umeå
    Contributions from Argonne?

    Something on inverse problems: Myklebust, Mardal, Nielsen
    Something on flow problems: Valen-Sendstad, Logg, Mardal
    Something on electro-mechanics: Alnaes, Sundnes
    Something on FSI: Selim

    Other contributors: Narayanan, Schroll, Lines, Ostien, Lindbo,
    Hake, Brown, Nazarov, Lopes, Wilbers, Voigt, Kaasbjerg, etc

  Appendix

    Summary of notation (Logg)
    UFC reference cells
    UFC numbering of mesh entities
    Something about Scons?
    Something about SWIG?

PS: Further discussion of this topic will take place on the fenics-dev
mailing list. So if you are interested in following the discussion,
please sign up at http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-dev