Re: New proposed project: FEniCS Apps

> Hello fellow FEniCS hackers,
>
> We're currently considering launching a new FEniCS project called
>
> 'FEniCS-Apps'
>
> The idea of this project would be to establish a community of
> developers that use FEniCS software for larger applications. These
> applications would then be hosted as individual sub-projects under
> 'FEniCS-Apps'. The aim is to enable developers to share code, ideas
> and best practices when using other FEniCS projects like FFC and
> DOLFIN.
>
> Two examples of projects that could be hosted by 'FEniCS-Apps', that
> we have developed, are:
>

> dolfin-grade2:  a library for solving non-Newtonian fluid problems
> using the grade-two fluid model
>
> fenics-plasticity:  a library that implements different plastic models
> and a framework for solving problems using these models.
>

> We have set up a few things to show how our idea would work, that you
> might check out.
>
> * a page on the wiki (http://www.fenics.org/wiki/FEniCS_Apps)
> * a hg repository (http://www.fenics.org/apps/)
>
> Please let us know your opinion on the matter and any suggestions you may
> have.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy R. Terrel
> Kristian B. Ølgaard

Andy and Kristian,

I think this is a good idea, which has previously been discussed at this
list. At that time I believe the main hesitation was connected to have
someone volunteer to administrate such a project.

I think it is good to have a fenics-forum for application oriented
developers that can interact with the developers of the basic tools.

All the best,
Johan