Development code management

There has been some discussion on the dolfin-dev mailing list over the past few days on moving the FEniCS development repositories to a hosted service. The discussion has arisen in part due to the burden involved in maintaining the fenics.org server. With this message, I would like to kick-off a discussion and solicit opinions on moving the FEniCS development repositories to a hosted service.

We are already using a free hosted service (Launchpad) for bug tracking and feature planning for a number of FEniCS components and this has proved to be a success. The question which I wish to pose now is should we move all the FEniCS development repositories to a hosted service?

In terms of hosted services, the two most attractive options are Launchpad (https://launchpad.net) and Bitbucket (http://bitbucket.org). Versions of the DOLFIN repository are presently available on both

    https://code.launchpad.net/~fenics/dolfin/dev
    http://bitbucket.org/dolfin/dolfin/

Feel free to test them out. As mentioned above, we are already using Launchpad, and it provides some useful features like release planning and mailing lists. The drawback is that the version control system supported by Launchpad is Bazaar. Bazaar is very similar to Mercurial, but becoming familiar with it will require some effort. The advantage of Bitbucket is that it supports Mercurial repositories. However, it's bug tracking and feature planning tools are, in my opinion, not as good as those on Launchpad. Bitbucket does not provide mailing lists, so they would have to be hosted elsewhere.

I think that moving to a hosted service will provide us with development tools features and tools which are not and will not be provided on www.fenics.org. The www.fenics.org website would remain, and its purpose would be to present the FEniCS Project and its components. Only the development aspects would be moved to a hosted service.

Garth

Follow ups