Re: Development code management

Anders Logg wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:41:42PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>> There has been some discussion on the dolfin-dev mailing list over
>> the past few days on moving the FEniCS development repositories to a
>> hosted service. The discussion has arisen in part due to the burden
>> involved in maintaining the fenics.org server. With this message, I
>> would like to kick-off a discussion and solicit opinions on moving
>> the FEniCS development repositories to a hosted service.
>>
>> We are already using a free hosted service (Launchpad) for bug
>> tracking and feature planning for a number of FEniCS components and
>> this has proved to be a success. The question which I wish to pose
>> now is should we move all the FEniCS development repositories to a
>> hosted service?
>>
>> In terms of hosted services, the two most attractive options are
>> Launchpad (https://launchpad.net) and Bitbucket
>> (http://bitbucket.org). Versions of the DOLFIN repository are
>> presently available on both
>>
>>     https://code.launchpad.net/~fenics/dolfin/dev
>>     http://bitbucket.org/dolfin/dolfin/
>
> The bzr repository seems to contain only 4300 changeset, but the hg
> repository contains around 7500. Does anyone know why?

I noticed this too. Could it be that bzr seems to have this notion of
primary changesets and sub-changesets or something?

Notice all the foo.bar.baz versioning attached to an annotated file:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fenics/dolfin/dev/annotate/head%3A/site-packages/dolfin/variationalproblem.py

Compare this with (awkward to due to funny formatting):
http://bitbucket.org/dolfin/dolfin/annotate/e8b4c1afa145/site-packages/dolfin/variationalproblem.py

Harish