Re: Documentation effort

On 22 March 2010 15:16, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 03:08:32PM +0100, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:

On 22 March 2010 14:50, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:22:24AM -0500, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
>>I've never heard of doconce.  Is there a link somewhere?  Just to
>>throw this out there you might check out the way Numpy and Scipy does
>>theirs (I believe with sphinx [0] which has that nice feature of
>>publishing to pdf or html).  If there was some style guide set up and
>>the key areas pointed out, it might be good to have a documentation
>>marathon for FEniCS'10.
>>
>>[0] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
>
>I looked a bit more on Sphinx, and it looks really good.
>
>The documentation for Sphinx states the following:
>
> The focus is on hand-written documentation, rather than
> auto-generated API docs.

So we will abandon Doxygen and similar tools? Sounds good to me, but
I guess it will make it slightly more difficult to ensure that all
functions are documented and not forgotten. But maybe there are
tools for this?

I imagine we can write a script that checks for functions that need to
be documented. We could also have a script that checks that the
one-line compact comment in the code is the same as the summary/first
sentence in the hand-written documentation.

Sure, I was just wondering if someone out there on the big Internet had already done this job for us.

>This seems to fit very well with our discussion regarding whether or
>not to put the documentation as part of the code.

So we only put short comments in the code like we do now, and then
put documentation in sphinx source files.

That would be my suggestion. Let's hear what people think.

OK.

Kristian

>So Sphinx would be a tool we could use to produce good looking,
>cross-referenced, indexed documentation from a set of simple input
>files (in reST or doconce format), but we would not extract anything
>from the code.
>
>With this approach, I wonder where the limitations are for documenting
>the C++ interface. Are there any? If we don't use Doxygen, we would
>just write the documentation in the same way as for the Python
>interface.
>
>And I just thought of another reason for splitting the documentation
>from the code which is that it makes it possible to separate write
>access for the code and the documentation.

Good point.

Kristian