Re: FEniCS Tutorial at ESCO 2010

On 28 May 2010 18:35, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:18:53AM -0500, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:

>> > The slides I have are in the exact same format so it should be easy to
>> > merge. :-)
>> >
>> > Where are the PETSc tutorials? Are they written in HTML? I prefer
>> > writing in LaTeX.
>> >

>> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/tutorials/index.html
>>
>> I think most are in latex but in some private repo.  Which is why Matt
>> and I have the separate reop.
>
> ok.
>
>> Should we set up another launchpad project or just incorporate it in
>> the fenics-doc?
>
> Don't know. It might clutter up that repo but it would be the easiest
> option. There's an administrative overhead to creating too many lp
> groups/projects.

I guess it depends on how it is organised and maintained.
We could have 'presentations' on the same level as 'demos', 'tutorial'
and 'programmer's reference'.
But what I don't want is 200+ tutorials like this:

demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_05_15
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_23
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_25
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_26

where 99% of the contents is the same and all the code examples are outdated.

Preferably, we will have a handful of presentations which covers the
essentials from FEniCS: PDEs, la, mesh etc. with up to date code
examples. Then if someone needs a presentation, it's just a matter of
copy/paste with some minor tweaks to direct the presentation towards a
specific audience.

Kristian