Re: FEniCS Demo documentation

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:29:28AM +0200, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
> On 16 June 2010 22:09, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Looks good. I noticed a couple of things:
> >
> > 1. It would be good if class names were in another font (like courier
> > style), \texttt{VariationalProblem} etc
>
> Once the Programmer's reference is up and running, I think we should
> just use links to the class documentation (and member functions).

ok, sounds good.

> > 2. Would it be better with another variable name instead of h since
> > that will be used as mesh size in other demos. Why not g?
>
> I'll change h --> g for all Neumann BCs.

ok.

> > 3. Is the normal flux + or - grad(u).n? I think of it as -grad(u).n.
>
> The equation is:
>
> - \Delta u = f
>
> multiplying by v:
>
> - v \Delta u = vf
>
> integration by parts and switching to UFL:
>
> inner( grad(v), grad(u))*dx  - v*inner(grad(u), n)*ds = v*f*dx
>
> if we use g = - inner(grad(u), n) then
>
> inner( grad(v), grad(u))*dx  + v*g*ds = v*f*dx
>
> so
>
> a = inner( grad(v), grad(u))*dx
> L = v*f*dx - v*g*ds
>
> then we need to use g = sin(5x) for the demo to give the same solution.
>
> Of course we can move the '-' from L to g (which is what we have now)
> but then the form does not follow directly from our equations.

Perhaps g = grad u . n (with + sign) is better now when I think of
it. It looks better in two ways: we avoid the "-" sign in both the
definition of g and the definition of the form. So it should be

  g = sin(5x)
  L = v*f*dx + v*g*ds

Then one just needs to remember that g is the negative flux (if one
thinks of -grad u . n as the flux, but not everyone does).