Re: Further reorganization of doc files

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:22:10PM +0200, Kristian Ølgaard wrote:
> On 31 August 2010 22:10, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Garth and I have been discussing the location of the demos and it
> > seems clear that they should be part of DOLFIN (not fenics-doc).
> >
> > In the same way as for the C++ documentation, it is not practical to
> > split the demos between two different repositories (doc in one, and
> > code in the other). So we put them in the same repository.
> >
> > Then the question is where. For the C++ documentation, it is obvious
> > that the code+documentation should be part of DOLFIN (since the code
> > needs to be part of DOLFIN).
> >
> > For the same reason, the demos need to be part of DOLFIN since we need
> > to be able to run and update them frequently while developing.
> >
> > It's also good to have the same kind of dependency both for C++ code
> > and demos, with changes propagating from DOLFIN to fenics-doc, not the
> > opposite (or both).
> >
> > I therefore suggest that we put all the subdirectories inside
> > source/demos into DOLFIN_DIR/demo/.
> >
> > This directory would then contain three subdirectories:
> >
> >  pde
> >  la
> >  undocumented
> >
> > The last directory would contain all demos (uncategorized) which have
> > not yet been documented. A simple script can be run from fenics-doc to
> > update.
>
> So we pull copies of source code files (*.py, *.ufl, *.cpp) from
> DOLFIN to fenics-doc, to be uploaded with the rest of the
> documentation on the web server?
> Sounds reasonable to me, and the test environment for DOLFIN will stay
> as it is now.

Exactly. Let's not touch the files in dolfin-doc/source/demos for a
little while until we have sorted out the copying to DOLFIN and then
back again.

We can setup a simple script (essentially calling rsync) to do the
copying. Perhaps the following scripts would be useful:

  utils/extract-dolfin-programmers-reference  # same as today but renamed
  utils/extract-dolfin-demos                  # new simple script calling rsync
  utils/extract-all                           # calling the above two scripts