Re: License

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 10:16:51AM +0100, David Ham wrote:
> On 08/09/10 02:55, Harish Narayanan wrote:

> >>What hasn't been discussed (or maybe I missed it) is the distinction
> >>between L/GPLv2 and L/GPLv3. Can anyone summarise the difference in a
> >>nutshell?
> >
> >GPL v3 offers the same basic freedoms as GPL v2. Furthermore, GPL v3
> >clarifies some language to prevent recent shady acts such as the
> >following from occurring in the future:
> >
> >   - "Tivoization." This is whena hardware system incorporating Free
> >Software uses hardware restrictions to prevent users from running
> >modified versions of the software on that hardware.[1]
> >
> >   - Crippling DRM. Similar to the above, GPL v3 ensures that you have
> >the freedom to remove software restrictions crippling the use of programs.
> >
> >   - The MS-Novell patent protection deal. GPL v3 provides for explicit
> >patent protection of the users from the program's contributors and
> >redistributors. As in, someone can't distribute patent-encumbered
> >software, then turn around and tell you that you're violating their rights.
> >
> >Further advantages of GPLv3 include better internationalization, gentler
> >termination, support for p2p distribution, and compatibility with the
> >Apache license.[2]
> >
> >LGPL v3 inherits the above from GPL v3. In fact, LGPL v3 is actually GPL
> >v3 plus an addendum that allows redistribution of linking programs
> >without providing the source. (This is unlike LGPL v2.1 which is a
> >complete license on its own.)
>
> GPL 3 also benefits from having been written by expert lawyers so it
> actually holds together much better as a document. GPL2.1 is
> actually really badly drafted and has some utter legal nonsense in
> it.
>
> The downside of GPL3 is that it's incompatible with GPL2.1 and there
> is a fair bit of GPL software out there which doesn't have the "any
> later versions" clause attached.

That's why it is good to make a change now to "L/GPL v3 or any later
version" since we will then be free to change to v4 or whatever comes
next without needing to ask all developers.

It looks like most of us prefer LPGL so my suggestion is that we try
moving everything over to "LGPL v3 or any later version".

Possible problems:

 - Everyone might not agree with the move, for example Martin might
   prefer GPL for UFL.

   Martin: What do you think?

 - Licensing terms for dependencies, for example CGAL

   Can someone look into this?