Re: More on the licensing

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 09:58:39AM +0300, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> This has always been my interpretation of a FEniCS App.
> >
> > That's fine with me. Other opinions?
>
> My view was always to just have a loose management scheme with links
> to open source projects using FEniCS.  For one I think BSD should be
> an option.  We could certainly say what the preference is and tell
> people that FEniCS LGPL and it can't use code that comes from a GPL
> product.
>
> As far as I can tell, the argument over licensing and content in
> CBC.solve is local to that project.
>

> > What do Andy and Kristian (FEniCS Apps maintainers) say?
> > Are you doing any maintenance or is it, in fact, free play?
>
> Maintenance is minimal especially since the wiki space went away.  Not
> sure what you mean by free play.
>
> I really think there is a lot of potential for developers to
> contribute code to FEniCS-Apps and could see more web-apps based on
> showing the different codes, giving users support, and furthering the
> exposure of FEniCS.  Right now it looks like a bunch of independent
> projects that have little to nothing to do with each other.  Not
> having funding for such things or noticeable interest from the
> community, I've basically backed off on promoting FEniCS-Apps.  I
> think having strict license policies will be just one more hurdle to
> realizing such potential.

ok. It looks to me like the best solution is to let FEniCS Apps just
be a web page on fenicsproject.org which links to the respective web
page of any project that claims to be a FEniCS App, the only
requirement being that it is open-source (using an OSI approved
license of choice).

I don't know whether we need the Launchpad FEniCS Apps page, but I'll
let you decide. Imposing the use of Launchpad is also another
restriction/hurdle to developers of FEniCS-based applications.

I'll remove the mentioning of FEniCS Apps from the copyright forms and
put up new versions, but there is no need to sign new forms for those
who have already signed.