Re: doc in source

On 23/05/11 15:42, Marie E. Rognes wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 04:28 PM, Garth N. Wells wrote:

>>> Not exactly. I'm saying that demo/foo/cpp/documentation.rst and
>>> demo/foo/python documentation.rst includes demo/foo/common.txt (as
>>> ../common.txt). This is as it was in fenics-doc with the exception that
>>> the code for the demos was copied from dolfin using a separate script.
>>>

>> That bit's easy, but the next level up needs to include the demo files.
>
> I don't understand. Next level up in what direction?

The top level, and from there down, e.g.

dolfin/doc/documentation.rst

   .. toctree::

      path/to-prog/ref
      ../demo/demos.rst
      .
      .

>>> Fine by me.
>>>
>>> Should the generation of the programmer's reference (from code to .rst)
>>> also be a part of the build or should it be explicitely generated and
>>> stored (like the swig-generated files)?
>>>

>> I would suggest that it be built by the user, and when making a release
>> we can consider building and including it then. Otherwise we'll fill the
>> repository with html files.
>
> To clarify, I'm thinking of a two-step pipeline
>
>         (1)     (2)
>    Code -> .rst -> .html
>
> Details to be sorted out:
>
> 1. When and how should step (1) happen?
> 2. Should (if yes, where) .rst be stored in the repository?
> 3. When and how should step (2) happen?
>
> One way would be
>
> 1. Explicitely by someone running a generate-script
> 2. Yes, under dolfin/doc
> 3. As you suggest above (with some basic default settings from sphinx)

It should run via the build system, with make targets for each step. The
build system can test that Sphinx is available and is the correct version.

> Further:
>
> 4. The official web page either has its own version of steps 1 -- 3 or
> copies from dolfin/doc/.../.rst and generates its own html.

The above is a good reason to get the doc building for each project
working - it's hard to think too many steps ahead.

Garth