Re: Web server

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:03:02PM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The web server has been down since ca lunch today due to some broken
> > cable. I have no information on when it will be back up again.
> >
> > It seems that the current host (Simula IT services) is somewhat
> > unreliable so I'm investigating the possibility of moving the server
> > to an external host.
> >
> > I've had good experience with http://www.scorpiondata.com/ in the
> > past. Comments and input on other options are welcome.

> Hi,
>
> From a web search I found two testimonials which don't look so good
> for Scorpion Data:
>
> http://www.johaneckman.se/tag/sheimo-scorpion-data/
> http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.johaneckman.se%2Ftag%2Fsheimo-scorpion-data%2F
> http://www.henrikcarlsson.se/2010/07/12/nytt-webbhotell-ny-doman/
> http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.henrikcarlsson.se%2F2010%2F07%2F12%2Fnytt-webbhotell-ny-doman%2F
>
> They recommend Binero instead, which I've also seen get good scores in
> tests. They won the Internetworld test for web hotels 2009 and 2010:
>
> http://internetworld.idg.se/2.1006/1.309237/sveriges-basta-webbhotell---fjolarets-favorit-slar-till-igen
> http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Finternetworld.idg.se%2F2.1006%2F1.309237%2Fsveriges-basta-webbhotell---fjolarets-favorit-slar-till-igen
>
> Maybe that would be a good candidate?

Perhaps, but I'm also finding some bad reviews for Binero:

  http://www.rejta.se/omdome/103517/Binero+AB
  http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=en&tl=sv&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rejta.se%2Fomdome%2F103517%2FBinero%2BAB&act=url

(and many good reviews).

A priority will be response time and willingness to arrange billing
according to our needs (paying in advance for an extended period). I
had a very bad experience with Bahnhof billing (where the domains are
registered) last year and moved the registration to nameisp.se (who
were very responsive).

I emailed scorpionshops this morning and they were very
responsive. I'll see how it goes. My suggestion is to try to move the
server there quickly (as a test). If all goes well and we find the
service is both flexible and reliable, we can pay for an extended
period.