Re: UFR - The Unified Fenics Repository

Hi Martin,

We're not amazingly happy about that idea.

The design of FEniCS as I understand it provides a series of tools
which *can* be used in conjunction but need not be. In particular, our
toolchain (which currently revels in the name flop.py) employs UFL,
FFC, FIAT and Instant, but not UFC or Dolfin (since we employ PyOP2
and Fluidity in those roles). Merging the repositories would give us a
de facto Dolfin dependency which we don't need. It also more generally
undermines the stand-alone nature of these tools and undermines the
idea that these are generic tools which might usefully be used by
solvers other than Dolfin (eg the UFL Dune project we heard about a
while back).

I am also concerned that having them all in the same repository would
tempt people to break tool orthogonality by introducing
cross-dependencies which are not necessary but might appear convenient
to the coder at the time. This would potentially turn a de facto
dependency into a real one and could really make our life hard.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David Ham