Re: Cleanup of repositories

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Johan Hake <hake.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nice work!
>
> So this is how git get so fast, we first remove all the large files ;)
>
> On 03/21/2013 03:07 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
>> I have done some work on cleaning up the DOLFIN repository.
>>
>> - All data files have been removed from the lp:dolfin bzr repository.
>>
>> - All generated code has been removed from the lp:dolfin bzr repository.
>>
>> - With the help of Jed Brown's git-fat, I have generated a list of
>>   files that I suggest we strip from the history (once the new
>>   conversion has taken place).
>
> How will this affect the possibility to compile legacy versions of
> dolfin to test for example speed ups? Are these done with cached tarballs?
>
>> Please look at the files to be removed here (files_to_strip.txt):
>>
>>   https://gist.github.com/alogg/5213171
>>
>> Btw, is there some equivalent of the Gist thing for Bitbucket? I found
>> it very convenient for sharing the above data. Actually, I couldn't
>> figure out any other convenient way to do it.

I don't think there is one run by bitbucket.  But before gist there
was dpaste.org and pastebin.org.  The feature has been requested
https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/516/mercurial-backed-pastebin-bb-672

Gists are really nice since they stay around and are good for sharing
small bits of code and instructions.

I've also gotten little traction with my questions about pull requests
between different forks:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/149653/pull-request-between-two-different-repositories

-- Andy