Re: Cleanup of repositories

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 09:15:24PM +0000, Florian Rathgeber wrote:

>> Those can be built (with a lot of effort) using the tarballs, and
>> the converted unchanged repository as well as the present bzr
>> repository will be stored for eternity on the web server.
> I'm not sure I understand what your plan for the clean-up is: I was
> assuming you want to take the opportunity to purge accidentally
> committed files, large binary files or generated files that should
> have never been committed in the first place etc.
> However all of this should not affect the ability to build old
> versions of FEniCS tools: I would advise against cleaning out old
> files which were legitimately committed at the time and simply became
> obsolete and were removed again later. Git is really good at
> compressing text files.

The files I've put up for removal are meshes and generated code, some
of it quite large.

>> 3. Get comments from Florian or anyone else interested in merging
>> in converted repos on the Git side.
> I'm hoping git-fast-filter [1] will do the trick. If not it'll require
> a bit of hackery. I'm not very worried about our FFC branch (I'm
> comfortable rebasing it on whatever final repository), but ideally I'd
> like to not slam the door in the faces of all those having feature
> branches lying around (Andre?).

Can anyone with a feature branch comment on this issue? Will you want
to convert it to Git, then merge. Or are you happy to clone a fresh
branch on the Git side, then patch your changes manually?

>> 4. Get comments from developers on the list of proposed files to
>> be deleted from the history.
> See my comments above: don't be too radical, only get rid of things
> that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Here's the list again for reference:

https://gist.github.com/alogg/5213171#file-files_to_strip-txt

The simple version is that the list contains the following:

- .h if generated
- .xml.gz
- .inp
- .stl