Re: Cleanup of repositories

On 03/22/2013 10:36 AM, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:32:50AM +0100, Johan Hake wrote:
>>>

>>> Not exactly:
>>>
>>> - Meshes in demos --> remove (already done)
>> I suggest we keep these. There aren't any big files anyhow, are there?
>
> They have already been removed and there's a good system in place for
> handling them. Keeping the meshes elsewhere will encourage use of the
> mesh gallery and keeping better track of which meshes to use. There
> were lots of meshes named 'mesh.xml' or 'mesh2d.xml' which were really
> copies of other meshes used in other demos, some of them were gzipped,
> some not etc. That's all very clean now. Take a look at how it's done
> in trunk. I think it looks quite nice.

Nice and clean, but it really is just 30 meshes. Duplications are mostly
related to dolfin_fine.xml.gz, which there are 7 copies of, and that
file is 86K.

> Most of the example meshes are not that big, but multiply that by 30
> and then some when meshes are moved around or renamed.

I just question if it is worth it. Seems convenient to just have the
meshes there.

If we keep them out of the repo I think we should include some automagic
downloading when building the demos.

Also should we rename the script to download-demo-meshes, or something
more descriptive, as this is what that script now basically does?

Johan