Re: Cleanup of repositories

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:52:25AM +0100, Johan Hake wrote:

> >> I suggest we keep these. There aren't any big files anyhow, are there?
> >
> > They have already been removed and there's a good system in place for
> > handling them. Keeping the meshes elsewhere will encourage use of the
> > mesh gallery and keeping better track of which meshes to use. There
> > were lots of meshes named 'mesh.xml' or 'mesh2d.xml' which were really
> > copies of other meshes used in other demos, some of them were gzipped,
> > some not etc. That's all very clean now. Take a look at how it's done
> > in trunk. I think it looks quite nice.
>
> Nice and clean, but it really is just 30 meshes. Duplications are mostly
> related to dolfin_fine.xml.gz, which there are 7 copies of, and that
> file is 86K.
>
> > Most of the example meshes are not that big, but multiply that by 30
> > and then some when meshes are moved around or renamed.
>
> I just question if it is worth it. Seems convenient to just have the
> meshes there.

Keeping the meshes there will put a limit on which demos we can add. I
think it would be good to allow for more complex demos requiring
bigger meshes (not necessarily run on the buildbot every day).

> If we keep them out of the repo I think we should include some automagic
> downloading when building the demos.

Yes, or at least a message stating: "You have not downloaded demo
data. Please run the script foo."

> Also should we rename the script to download-demo-meshes, or something
> more descriptive, as this is what that script now basically does?

It is not only meshes, but also markers and velocity fields. Perhaps
it can be renamed download-demo-data?