Re: Cleanup of repositories

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:05:16PM +0100, Jan Blechta wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:18:57 +0100
> Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:15:32PM +0100, Jan Blechta wrote:
> > > I proposed two tiny changes to DOLFIN. The one in
> > > lp:~blechta/dolfin/harmonic_smoothing is ready. But the second in
> > > lp:~blechta/dolfin/keep_diagonal needs running newly introduced
> > > test in test/unit/la/python/Matrix.py with PETScCusp and Epetra
> > > backends. Is somebody able to try it?
> >
> > Thanks. We will look at it.
> >
> > > Regarding cleanup of repo do I understand it correctly that
> > > procedure for keeping feature branch up to date is
> > >
> > > 1. merge trunk on launchpad into feature branch
> > > 2. make it working and commit
> > > 3. convert to git
> > >
> > > It this is the way why this could not be performed arbitrarily
> > > later?
> >
> > The problem is that we want to do two things: convert to git and at
> > the same time remove certain files from the history, and we don't know
> > how to do those two in combination (assuming I understand correctly
> > the latest message from our git master Florian).
> >
> > Therefore, we will give everyone a chance to merge things that can be
> > merged now, then do the conversion and file stripping, and after that
> > the old branches on Launchpad must all be abandonded and opened again
> > on Bitbucket as fresh new clones.
>
> It seems that you're talking about branches to be merged into trunk.
> But I would rather like to know what to do with experimental branch
> (which it not suitable for merging into trunk) to keep it alive,
> synchronizable with trunk. Do I need to take some special actions to
> prepare it to file stripping?

As far I understand, it is not possible to move experimental branches
from bzr to git in combination with file-stripping (unless you have
more than 1st degree black belt skills in git above Florian's).

So you will need to abandon your experimental branches and start them
over from scratch in git (and copy your changes over manually to the
new git branch).

> And what about plans to join UFC+UFL+FFC+Fiat into single repo? Will
> they proceed after the conversion?

Yes, we will work with the git repositories for a little while before
attempting any such merge (likely using subtrees).