Re: nodemap -> dofmap

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 07:51:51PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 07:32:34PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 07:20:22PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 06:03:41PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
I think of a node as a member of the dual basis for P in the
definition of a finite element in Brenner-Scott. A node in FFC is
always associated with an entity, like the second node of entity 0 of
an entity of dimension 1 (the second node on the first edge).

So I would very much like to keep the name "node".

OK, but this does clash with accepted terminology. In both Brenner & Scott and Ciarlet, nodes are defined as points.
Yes, when I look again, they do use "node" for a point, but also refer
to "nodal variables" as the name of the linear functional you evaluate
to get the "nodal value".

Sure, this is normal FE terminology - nodal variables for the degrees of freedom at a node. Also, "nodal value" in general case should be "nodal values" :).
ok, but how do you say this when the nodal variable is an integral
over an edge?

Can you still say "at a node"? Or is "node" not used then?

I wouldn't use node, I would use "degree of freedom". Are you thinking of a Nedelec element?

Garth
I was thinking BDM.

So your suggestion is to never use "node" and always use "dof"?

Not quite. I would restrict the meaning of "node" to a position point, and use degree of freedom for a value that can change, typically representing the amplitude of some function.

I looked quickly in a few books and they refer to "degrees of freedom" for BDM and Nedelec elements.

Garth

I asked Ridg to settle this. Here's a quote:

  There is a good reason to differentiate between the point at which
  a nodal variable acts and the nodal variable (the linear functional).
  Using DOF for this concept is probably the best idea, since the
  terminology "nodal variable" still refers to a "node" and does not
  sound quite right for an edge integral.

                                  Ridg

So I give up, let's call it "dof"/"DOF"! :-)

At least you made me work hard :).

Garth

/Anders