Re: [UFC-dev] [DOLFIN-dev] Release

On Monday 13 July 2009 15:30:49 Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 01:05:31PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> > There have been a lot of changes since the last release, and it would be
> > nice to make a release before a full assault on parallelisation, so I
> > suggest that we make a release soon. Regarding the few outstanding
> > issues in the Roadmap for release 0.9.3:
> >
> > - Is the move to the new parameter system complete?
>
> Yes, I think so, at least on the C++ side. Johan Hake knows the status
> of the Python version better.

The test in

  sandbox/misc/python

seems to run just fine. It is easy to check command line parsing in python
just copy the last line of the print out from this test, and change any
parmeters to test options passing:

  python test_params.py --bar 200 --foo 1.5 --pc amg \
            --solver.max_iterations 50 --solver.prec ilu \
            --solver.relative_tolerance -1.0 --solver.tolerance 1e-16

Note the illegal setting of the relative_toleance

> There are a few things that are not tested (like parsing command-line
> arguments) and not implement (like passing options to PETSc) but that
> can be move to 0.9.4.
>
> > - Can command line arguments be parsed with the new system?
>
> Yes, in principle. I have tested it before and it should work, but
> haven't in a while. The following should work:
>
>   parameters.parse(argc, argv);
>
> Perhaps we need a way to strip prefixes when reading parameters to
> make the following possible:
>
>   krylov_solver.parse(argc, argv, "krylov_solver");
>
> which would pick up options like
>
>   -krylov_solver.relative_tolerance=1e-8

You mean, only options with the prefix passed as the third parameters is
parsed? Sounds like a nice feature!

> > I suggest moving the target items
> >
> > - Break up function Assembler::assemble_system
> > - Cleanup Function class logic
> > - Extracting vector field from tensor field
>
> Sounds good.

Agree.

I will be offline for two weeks.

Happy releasing!

I will comback in August, and be operational from the 10th.

Johan

Johan