Re: Selection of element degree

Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:15:53AM +0100, Marie Rognes wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:01:59PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
We still haven't decided on the correct strategy for choosing the
degree of an unspecified element.

What we have now looks at the total degree of the form and then sets
the degree accordingly. This doesn't really work weoull and the reason
is quite simple: We can't figure out the total degree correctly if we
don't know the degree of the coefficient.

So my new suggestion is the following. We simply scan all elements in
the form with specified degrees and set the degree to the maximum
degree among the elements.

Or should it be the maximum degree of the test and trial functions?
Yes, that's basically what happens now. It looks at everything that
has a degree so it looks at the test and trial functions but also at
any coefficients that may happen to have a degree.

That's useful for say v*f*g*dx if one of f and g happen to have a
degree specified. Then the degree for the other needs to be the same.

Why?

Since that's how the generated quadrature code works. It loops over
quadrature points for an integrand and then it's useful if everything
in the integrand is evaluated at those points.

Ok.

--
Marie