Re: [Branch ~ffc-core/ffc/dev] Rev 1443: Remove \n in formats

Anders Logg wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:27:33PM +0100, Marie Rognes wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 06:39:56PM +0100, Marie Rognes wrote:
noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
revno: 1443
committer: Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
branch nick: ffc-dev
timestamp: Wed 2010-01-13 17:00:13 +0100
message:
Remove \n in formats
modified:
ffc/cpp.py

I like the \n in formats. Makes more sense to me to have a line break
after for instance "each assignment" than explicitly stating breaks
in the code generation functions.
I agree, but it becomes problematic in some cases. For example when we
insert things into the UFC format strings in the formatting stage:

 /// Return the dimension of the finite element function space
 virtual unsigned int space_dimension() const
 {
%(space_dimension)s
 }

Then we get things like

 virtual unsigned int space_dimension() const
 {
   return 3;

 }

Remove the "\n" in the format["return", "comment"] then ... and keep
"iadd" and "assign" then?

I thought this was ok, but just found out it wasn't. It will lead to
things like

    // Compute element tensor
    A[0] += 0;
    A[1] += 0;
    A[2] += 0;
    A[3] += 0;
    A[4] += 0;
    A[5] += 0;
    A[6] += 0;
    A[7] += 0;
    A[8] += 0;

  }

Could you remind me why that last spare line is so evil?

--
Marie

Since we can't avoid the last \n.

So the general rule needs to be no \n in formatting rules and we add
it where we need it.

--
Anders