Re: Release plans

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:26:32AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
> > There seem to be just a couple of issues remaining in order of importance:
> >
> > 1. QuadratureElement
> >
> > 2. DOLFIN fem unit test
> >
> > 3. evaluate_basis_derivatives
> >
> > 4. RestrictedElement
> >
> > Among these, I would say 1-2 are crucial to fix before 0.9.0,
> > but 3-4 are less crucial.
> >

> Both 3 and 4 are crucial for me.

I know, but I expect you are part of category (i) below, a limited
number of users who are running bzr tip anyway. :-)

> I think that it's all being rushed. With the major re-write of FFC it
> should be given some time for user testing. I would be amazed if my
> various solvers do not show up bugs.

Yes, it's being rushed, but there is time to release bug fixes.

To me, the minimum requirement is that we pass the regression tests in
FFC (perhaps except for evaluate_basis_derivatives and
ElementRestriction) and that we can compile and run all the DOLFIN
demos without problems. That should be enough for 0.9.0.

Even so, I'm not sure we will be able to manage to do that in time.
We should settle on something before lunch today. If we decide not to
press on with the release, we should take a good look at which
versions are currently packaged and see if those packages are in good
shape since those will go into the next Ubuntu LTS.

--
Anders