folding-at-home team mailing list archive

Re: FahMon config

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Daniel Chandler <djchandler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Swoody,
>
> I have installed FahMon on my laptop (which doesn't do folding) to
> monitor desktops on the LAN. The notfred running on the Win 7 comes up
> okay via http, but I can't get the others running Linux natively to
> display their data. Since we have a mixed network and to keep it simple
> for my wife's Win 7 box, I use Samba to access the network.
>
> When I show the message window, these lines are included.
>
> [26/01/10 - 01:36:09.685] X Directory smb://xeon-x-2/fah/ does not exist
> or cannot be read!
>
> [26/01/10 - 01:36:09.983] X Directory smb://danbuntu/fah1/ does not
> exist or cannot be read!
>
> [26/01/10 - 01:36:09.993] X Directory smb://crankybox/Crankybox Crank/
> does not exist or cannot be read!
>
> [26/01/10 - 01:36:09.993] X Directory smb://tux-tv/F@H-Tux-TV/ does not
> exist or cannot be read!
>
> [26/01/10 - 01:36:09.994] X Directory smb://danbuntu/fah2/ does not
> exist or cannot be read!
>
> But if I double click the client name in the FahMon window, it brings up
> the proper directory in Nautilus. If I double click the notfred, of
> course it doesn't have the correct Samba path. And if I edit it to its
> Samba path (no http), it acts just like the others.
>
> Any idea what's going on?
>
> If I can get this thing fixed, I'm expanding. Otherwise it's kind of
> insane trying to keep up with what I have going already, let alone add
> any more clients. I would like to run two on the dual xeon if it can't
> do SMP 2 fast enough (only 2.4Ghz Prestonias [sse2]). They can
> hyper-thread, but they are just essentially Northwood core cpus that can
> access dual channel memory. Theoretically they could do smp 4, but I'm
> not reading anything that leads me to believe that will speed things up
> and could actually have the opposite effect. I can get CPUs that have
> 1MB L3 cache for this MB, but they're too expensive considering energy
> consumption over the long haul and the instruction set is outdated with
> no 64-bit or ssse3 or better.
>
> Dan

Is the directory mounted, or are you only using Nautilus to get it?
My suspicion is that Nautilus does some sort of user-friendly magic
that only works in Nautilus.  In KDE, it would be a KIO slave, but I'm
not sure what the Gnome equivalent is.  Anyway, you probably have to
explicitly mount the share to a directory, which you can have done
automatically if you add it to /etc/fstab.

--
Thanks,

Jonathan Kotta

Hofstadter's Law:
    It always takes longer than you expect, even
    when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.