freenx-team team mailing list archive

Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Announcing Debian/Ubuntu FreeNX Team

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Marcelo,
>

> Am Samstag, den 26.07.2008, 21:17 -0300 schrieb Marcelo Boveto Shima:
>
> > I am pleased to announce that a team working on FreeNX Debian package
> > has been created on launchpad. The team contact is
> > freenx-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
> >
> > A repository is available for Ubuntu on FreeNX Team PPA:
> > deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ubuntu hardy main
>
> These are great news.
>
> > Everyone interested in joining the Team, please apply on launchpad.
>
> I am a little bit confused, since sometimes you write Ubuntu and
> sometimes Debian.

I am interested in Ubuntu package, but others are interested in Debian.
We are using launchpad to host the code.

Could you please clarify what your real goals are. Is your aim to "just"
> package freenx or also to get it included into Debian?

I will try to get included into Ubuntu. I'm hopping they are less
restrictive.
NX libraries will not be accepted into Debian [5].

> If it is the former one, than there are already some efforts going on
> for Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2].

Jeremy Wilkins [2] and Zaar are in the team [1]

If it is also the latter one, than there is also a list for packaging it
> for Debian [3]. You can take a look at [4] for some links with
> explanations why it is difficult to include freenx into Debian (although
> some packages were added to the archive). I think they are waiting for
> the rewrite to finish.

They are not working on the package. The problem is the duplication
of code. Debian will not support Xorg and a fork (NX). [5]
If they want they can grab our package. I use FreeNX in 2 servers
everyday so I work on the package once in a while.

Anyway, thanks for your answer in advance. I hope all you people doing