freenx-team team mailing list archive

Re: Session Shadowing

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Clement Hermann (nodens) <
clement.hermann@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marcelo Boveto Shima a écrit :
> > Hi Clement,
> Hi marcelo, thanks for your quick answer !
>
> > I myself tried to make it work some time ago. No success.
> > When I was replying you, telling that it was not implemented, I
> > remembered that there was a feature on FreeNX called vnc-local.
> > vnc-local was using vnc instead of nxshadow to shadow a session, but the
> > structure is there.
> > The good news was that shadowing local session was almost ready. So just
> > one change and now shadowing local session is working.
> >
> > Please test freenx version 0.7.3+svn612-0freenxteam10
> >

> It works !
>
> I now see two sessions in the list. They both refer to the same local
> session, and th user name is not displayed, but's that's definitely an
> improvement.
>
> Attaching the session work as well, although it does not like
> compositing at all (I had to kill compiz via SSH to render the session
> usable).

I don't think there will be compositing support any time soon.
Actually I think NX will be replaced with something else that supports
compositing.

> One last question, do you know if there's a way to change the remote
> resolution instead of "zooming" it out ? Or to use a real fullscreen ?

No, I don't think there is.

> I have two displays both at home and at work, but I'd like to use only
> one (nx does not know how to handle two screens, so everything is seen
> as one and it's a bit awkward). If I resize the window on the client
> side, the resolution does not change but everything is shrinked to fit
> in the window. The client opens a windows that has the same size
> whatever resolution I ask, and it's not even the resolution of the server.

Did you tried to change the resolution of the session manually?
If it works you can add an resolution applet to the panel, and then it is
possible to do it automatically too, but it is not an easy task.

But really, I don't think it deserves the effort, shadow is to share
desktops.
If you want to use the same desktop on different places, then is better to
use NX session on both places, the performance is a lot better. This is what
I do.

> Anyway, thanks a lot, I need to play with it a little but I can at least
> close a remote session properly, saving ongoing work and open a full new
> NX session and thus not having to kill firefox, gajim and thunderbird
> before working.

That is very useful. I used to need this.

Regards,
Shima