Re: Ceph & Cinder: unclear UX in Fuel 4.0

On 12/18/2013 06:27 PM, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:

On Dec 18, 2013 7:09 AM, "Mike Scherbakov" <mscherbakov@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mscherbakov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> Do I miss anything in the above?

No.

> Do we plan to have it documented anywhere so it is easy to understand for the user, who might be not very well experienced with all cinder, lvm, ephemeral, ceph, swift, rbd and other terms?

It is documented to some extent in settings descriptions and a bit more in the Reference Architecture. Maybe it's worth adding more details to the Storage Architecture section? Should there be a link to that section somewhere in the UI?

I suggest to simplify the terminology, skip all Ceph/Swift/Cinder/Volume/Image/Glance terms and use Ephemeral storage / Block storage / Object storage / File-level storage instead. By the way, Openstack ops docs uses these terms http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/storage_decision.html
That would make us closer to community :-)

> What does mean checkbox "Cinder LVM over iSCSI for volumes" - what are the use cases for it?

It is the default Cinder option from your list. The primary use case is where the cloud administrator doesn't need additional redundancy provided by Ceph and needs to maximize data density for volumes.

> Do we need cinder role applied to any servers if we use Ceph everywhere?

No.

> Will RadosGW conflict with Swift in HA mode?

Yes. This is reflected in the RadosGW setting description.

> Did we create bugs about unneeded LVMs for Glance, /var/lib/nova if we use Ceph? Or we still need LVMs?

Our discussionon this yesterday was a bit inconclusive. I'm in favor of keeping the LVMs in 4.0 do as not to destabilize the release, and removing them in 4.1. If there are no objections I will create bugs targeted for 4.1.

> Are there any other combinations which may lead to side effects? Can we have all of them verified?

No, I don't think so.

> How many of the things above are covered by system tests, and how many still need to be covered?
> Do we have multiple backend support in Cinder?

No. Andrew started this work but it was held back by the splinters bug.

> The whole UX with only checkboxes doesn't look like ideal solution to me. What do you think folks, should we file a blueprint and implement better UX for it in future versions?

TBH I would have a single checkbox in the wizard that would enable all Ceph options. Not sure what we can do about the checkboxes in the settings tab though.

In UI we can let the customer to choose which backend (LVM, default / Ceph / Swift, if applicable / anything-new-goes-here ) to use for which storage type ( Ephemeral / Block / Object / File-level ), as a drop-down lists.

-Dmitry

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,