From:  Mike Scherbakov <mscherbakov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM
To:  "fuel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fuel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [Fuel-dev] Almost ready for Hard Code Freeze

Fuelers,
we had a hard time squashing ton of bugs - 421 publicly reported bugs
already closed in 5.0.

Now we see quite low number of bugs coming daily with extensive testing, and
we fix more than we find. You can take a look at bug trends here:
http://fuel-launchpad.mirantis.com/project/fuel/bug_trends/5.0

Main issues which needs to be closed in 5.0 (excluding documentation / qa /
devops):
Critical - 2 bugs
image could not be stored in rbd in case if ceph is using as backend for
glance <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1319106>
Wrong interface in dnsmasq.conf inside cobbler container
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1319412>

High priority - 8 bugs
HA. Nova-compute is down after destroying primary controller
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1289200>
mcollective failed to upload image but error was deployment timed out
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1312443>
[OSTF]After succesfull cleanup button 'run test' does not appear
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1318631>
Cannot create bootable volume on CEPH backend for cinder
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1319046>
keystone-manage db_sync failed on first controller in ha mode
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1319087>
add stickiness=1 to neutron agents PM resources
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1312177>
[UI] Node renaming issues <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1317107>
'list index out of range' error on group node disks configuration
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1319306>

All of them are taken by engineers and being addressed.

We need to think about two questions:
1. HA issues, summarized at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fuel-ha-rabbitmq. If we are about to
provide fixes in 5.0, or we can address them in 5.0.1
2. Current definition of HCF is strict -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fuel/Hard_Code_Freeze. Pros is that we keep
working in master and thus there is no need in providing patches to both
master and stable/5.0 branch. Cons is that we block UI & Python teams which
have almost 0 bugs to work on.
3. My suggestion for now is to call for HCF even if we think about HA issues
as those which are critical, and keep a small group of people addressing
those issues, while the rest of the team will move ahead and start landing
5.1 changes into master. And I believe we should concentrate and call for
HCF already tomorrow.
4. For further, I think we would rather call for HCF not when we reach <=5
High bugs and 0 criticals, but somehow based on bug trends over last days.
With a few components in Fuel, it seems to be pretty strict (no more than 1
bug per component), and velocity of bug fixing is pretty high - over 3 last
days we had 21 incoming, 37 outcoming bugs. Any ideas on best formula for
this?
Your thoughts, folks?

Thanks,
--