Re: Need "advice" for choosing network topology and distros

Nova-network is a simple legacy network manager. It can operate with
predefined Private IP spaces only.
If you don't want to split your VMs to an isolated groups (tenants) you can
choose Nova-network with FlatDHCP. In this case you will have one big
tenant for all VMs.
If you want use multiple tenants and all of them contain approximately the
same number of VMs you can use Nova-network with VLANManager. In this case
the number of the tenants will be predefined and all the tenants will have
equal size of Private IP space. You must decide about these two numbers
(max number of tenants and Private IP space size) before starting
deployment. Also you must set up appropriate VLANs on your underlying
network equipment.

Neutron is a modern and more complicated network manager. It can not only
separate tenants but decrease requirements for underlying network (physical
switches and topology) and gives a great flexibility in Private IP spaces
manipulation. You can create Private IP spaces with different size and
manipulate them on the fly.
Neutron with VLAN like Nova-network with VLANManager requires a predefined
max number of tenants value and underlying network equipment configuration.
With Neutron with GRE you are not restricted with max number of VLANs and
you can spawn a realy huge number of tenants. But GRE encapsulation
decreases speed of VMs' communication and decreases CPU utilization of the
Compute and Controller nodes. So if don't need realy fast interconnections
between VMs, don't want to predetermine max number of tenants, and don't
want to configure your network  equipment you can choose Neutron + GRE.