Re: Need "advice" for choosing network topology and distros

 But GRE encapsulation decreases speed of VMs' communication and decreases
CPU utilization of the Compute and Controller nodes.
Correction:
Increases CPU utilization.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Andrey Danin <adanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nova-network is a simple legacy network manager. It can operate with
> predefined Private IP spaces only.
> If you don't want to split your VMs to an isolated groups (tenants) you
> can choose Nova-network with FlatDHCP. In this case you will have one big
> tenant for all VMs.
> If you want use multiple tenants and all of them contain approximately the
> same number of VMs you can use Nova-network with VLANManager. In this case
> the number of the tenants will be predefined and all the tenants will have
> equal size of Private IP space. You must decide about these two numbers
> (max number of tenants and Private IP space size) before starting
> deployment. Also you must set up appropriate VLANs on your underlying
> network equipment.
>
> Neutron is a modern and more complicated network manager. It can not only
> separate tenants but decrease requirements for underlying network (physical
> switches and topology) and gives a great flexibility in Private IP spaces
> manipulation. You can create Private IP spaces with different size and
> manipulate them on the fly.
> Neutron with VLAN like Nova-network with VLANManager requires a predefined
> max number of tenants value and underlying network equipment configuration.
> With Neutron with GRE you are not restricted with max number of VLANs and
> you can spawn a realy huge number of tenants. But GRE encapsulation
> decreases speed of VMs' communication and decreases CPU utilization of the
> Compute and Controller nodes. So if don't need realy fast interconnections
> between VMs, don't want to predetermine max number of tenants, and don't
> want to configure your network  equipment you can choose Neutron + GRE.
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Meg McRoberts <mmcroberts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have notes about "considerations" for choosing
>> between nova-network, neutron, and the two topologies each
>> supports?
>>
>> Similarly, what can we tell people about choosing between CentOS
>> and Ubuntu for the host OS on the nodes?
>>
>> I'm trying to do a quick save on the "Planning Guide" for 5.0.  I'm
>> sure we can improve on everything when we have more time...
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Meg
>>
>> --

> Andrey Danin
> adanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> skype: gcon.monolake

*Kind Regards*

*Miroslav Anashkin**L2 support engineer**,*
*Mirantis Inc.*
*+7(495)640-4944 (office receptionist)*
*+1(650)587-5200 (office receptionist, call from US)*
*35b, Bld. 3, Vorontsovskaya St.*
*Moscow**, Russia, 109147.*

www.mirantis.com

manashkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx