Re: overcommit rates

Dmitriy,

I support your point on overcrowded Fuel settings (for example - why the
hell do we have scheduler selector there?), BUT - CPU overcommit rate to me
looks like something that cloud lifecycle management app should be in
charge of. It's an important decision, closely coupled with decisions on
how many controllers to have, what hypervisor to use and how to map logical
networks to physical segments.

2 examples where not having it exposed to user can harm:

1) User plans capacity using BOM calculator
<http://www.mirantis.com/openstack-services/bom-calculator/> (or any of
Mirantis or Rackspace blog posts) and Fuel gives no way of applying CPU
overcommit decision. User perceives Fuel as not flexible/powerful enough.

2) User deploys cloud w/ Fuel and adjusts CPU overcommit as a post-install
action in nova.conf. One of controllers fail over time and has to be
replaced.
User add new controller, and gets inconsistent CPU overcommit settings
across 3 controllers OR all 3 controllers reset into default Fuel
overcommit rate (I'm not sure if adding a controller will cause all
controllers to redeploy w/ current Fuel release). Both options are not
acceptable for production cloud.

We need to think about the consistency of user experience, with all our
tools - bom calculator, Fuel, etc. The more critical aspects we take out to
documentation/post-install - the less value users will see in Fuel

---
Regards,
Dmitriy