Re: overcommit rates

Andrey, Dmitriy

I've just realized that CPU overcommitment setting is defined not for
Controllers but for Compute nodes, and may differ on per-node basis. So,
the 2nd "harm" example that I exposed a few emails ago (with failed and
redeployed controller resulting in inconsistent overcommitment behavior) is
irrelevant.

With this in mind, 3rd example is even worse :)

3) User goes through architecture workshop and capacity planning exercise,
decides on CPU overcommit rates he/she will use for OpenStack cloud. User
deploys the cloud with, let's say, 20+ compute nodes. Now, w/o CPU
overcommit setting on GUI, User will:
- get a cloud that's inconsistent with decisions made during planning
- be not aware of this - GUI did not point user to a need of specifying
this setting
- be frustrated and put under risk - if the cloud is deployed with real
workloads the compute nodes will soon become over provisioned and
unreliable due to default Fuel setting (prod KVM clouds often use
super-soft overcommit setting, or no overcommit at all)
- finally - *user will have to MANUALLY specify and maintain overcommit
setting across 20+ compute nodes.*

 Doesn't sound like a good UX from cloud lifecycle management app :) - Fuel
will quickly be ditched in favor of config management tool.

So, my proposal on CPU overcommitment setting is following:

- Expose it in Wizard on hypervisor selection screen
- To simplify things initially - implement the setting as a drop-down list,
with 2 options:
-- No CPU overcommitment (1:1)
-- Light CPU overcommitment (3:1)
-- Heavy CPU overcommitment (6:1) --- default setting in BOM calculator

---
Regards,
Dmitriy