g60-g70 team mailing list archive

Re: Fw: I need G70 driver ( G70-212EM Notebook PC)

Hello -

Just finishing a 12 hour shift and kind of groggy. Hopefully someone
else can put a word in to help you out, but here we go:

1. Looking around online, it looks like Fedora has had trouble with
USB speeds since version 10. Everyone seems to have a different
solution to the issue. The module used is for the ICH9 chipset, which
is very standard and definitely built into the kernel. You might be
able to flash the BIOS (go to the HP site and look it up). This could
very well be a hardware issue easily fixed.

The wifi button only recently started working for me. It used to work
for turning it off, but then would not turn back on. If it is not
working for your distro, you can make an icon or script as follows:
ifconfig wlan0 up (turns interface on)
ifconfig wlan0 down (turns interface off)

2. Webcam...don't know so much about this. My webcam is on the USB bus:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b091 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

I got that by typing in a terminal:
lsusb

sudo lsusb -v will tell you a lot more information, such as the fact
that this is a device used for video and for some reason has remote
wakeup enabled.

You can try running "sudo lsmod|grep uvc" (without the quotes). If
that returns anything, the UVC module is installed.
If you do not have a /dev/video0 or something similar, you have to
create it somehow. Sorry, do not really know how to do this, but
somehow a file is created that points the the PCI address through the
HAL or whatever Fedora uses.

+++++++++++++++++++++

will work better
2. Try installing UVC if it is not installed

Also, a good idea to make sure you have a nice and newer kernel for
laptops as they have only more recently (last 2 years or so) been
making Linux more compatible with laptops. I had a hell of a time
getting my first distro working on my laptop, now it works out of the
box.

Good Luck

If both of these things are very important to you, you might want to
try out another linux distribution. Ubuntu works pretty well for
mine...