geda-admins team mailing list archive

Re: [Geda-developers] gEDA git repository usage (was: Thoughts on mechanical CAD interaction...)

Assuming we're talking about different git commands (a comparative
analysis might be useful), let's at least agree to the intent of the
patch branches?

IIRC the patch branches exist so that people can easily test a patch.
Since we have so little testing, anything we can do to make it easy
for people to test patches is a Good Thing.  Patch branches have two
purposes: To give users a way to test "latest+patch", and to make sure
patches don't bit-rot.

To that end, we should have a standard (and relatively easy) way to
keep a branch at "latest master plus patch LP123", along with an easy
way to merge that patch back to master when appropriate.