Re: 1.8.x branch and 1.8.0 release plans

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:48:20 +0000, Gareth Edwards
<gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> - Persuade Gareth to cherry pick any relevant bugfixes into
>>   'stable-1.8'.
>>
>> I personally vote for the latter option.
>>

> Sure, I'm happy to do that - but I think I need to understand your
> branch/merge strategy around stable branches and master better, which
> is why I stayed away from stable-1.8 in my recent commits. (I'm more
> used to a workflow where changes move from softer to firmer on the
> tofu scale but the stable stuff in geda seems to move/merge in the
> other direction.

Fair enough.  What I was doing at the end of last year was to commit stable
stuff into the stable branch, and then merge it back to master because it
was useful there too.  I admit that this wasn't the most intuitive scheme
imaginable, but it worked because it meant that we didn't get multiple
commits for the same bug fix.  Obviously it was never possible to merge
master into stable-1.8, because that would pull in all the unstable new
features along with it.

Does that make sense?

Peter

--