Re: [RFC] libgeda data structures and algorithms

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:48:02PM +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 23:44:34 +0000, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Nitpicking bike-shed coloring point, can we avoid the string _set_ in
> > any API which is not a property setter please.
> >
> > Perhaps we could define the noun "objectset" to avoid confusion, and
> > reserve _set_ as a verb.
>
> Yes, that's a very good idea.

Indeed, eda_object_set_... was a poor choice, as is anything that contains _set_
(makes it seem like we're talking about setters).

> > Also, don't mix _iter and _iterator. I don't think it is required.. pick
> > one or the other.
>
> I vote for iter, on the basis of my fingers.

+1

> > Does anyone know if the gtk_tree_* approach is better / more optimizable
> > because the iterator is usually on the stack?
>
> I think Linus was recently quoted as saying that "dereferencing a pointer
> is the most expensive thing you can do on a modern CPU", so I would vote
> for stack.  I must confess that I actually really like the GtkTreeIter
> design.  Honestly, though, the most important things to me are that any API
> we add is simple to understand and use, and future-proof in allowing for
> thread safety.

+1

--
Ivan Stankovic, pokemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm";