Re: gEDA git repository usage (was: Thoughts on mechanical CAD interaction...)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:44:56 -0400, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, let's play nice here.  You don't need to throw your credentials
> around to make a logical argument, and given that our biggest problem
> is lack of developers, I really hate to tell *anyone* that they're
> doing it "wrong" when they're the only ones doing anything at all.

You're right.

Surely it's in our best interests, if we want to attract and retain new
developers, to try and do things with our public, official git repositories
in broadly the same way that everyone else does?

I would further argue that no-one *needs* to have `git push --force' access
to the official git repos for ordinary development.  It's only actually
*necessary* for the occasional "Oops, I'm a complete idiot" moment (I've
had them, pcjc2's had them, they happen), and we do have a decent number of
geda-project admins who are active enough to be able to fix that kind of
issue pretty quickly.  I think I've used it about twice in the last 24
months (and I have committed some big lumps of code in that time).

Cheers,

Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett