getdeb-collaboration team mailing list archive

Re: Transferring GetDeb

Paulo,
thanks for your strong support but unfortunately this was a pondered
decision.

I have tried to reach Mark per the appropriate channel which is the
Community Council, I have sent a request for the definition of a process to
control non technical driven changes [1], I got a positive feedback from one
of the CC members, Matthew East.
I have added my request to the CC meeting, there was some conversation, you
can check the irc logs [2], the meeting started around 21:00 .

To be very clear, I was not seeking to get any power against Canonical, it
was about getting at least a process which enforced all parties to inform
the community about the changes, in a timely manner, so that we could at
least comment, the decision marker could use our feedback or ignore it, also
it should be very clear who is making the decision.

The meeting was fruitless, the reasonable request which come from Matthew
and was aligned with my expectations is:

[22:06] <mdke> I don't like reading that Canonical owns Ubuntu. I'd
like to see a concept where Ubuntu is a community driven project, with
Canonical as the major funder and employee of many developers.
[22:06] <mdke> If that is accepted, then it obviously follows that
there should be a community governance team with overall supervision
of such issues
[22:07] <mdke> there's no reason why such a team could not be
sensitive to Canonical interests as we all are now

The answer from Mark was:
[22:09] <sabdfl> mdke: i appreciate that's a noble idea, but i don't
believe it's workable

It is pretty clear to me, not just from this event but for a sequence of
events during last months that Canonical is no longer a team player.

I am just a regular member, mdke is a Community Council representative, the
highest possible position as a community representative, his suggestion was
promptly dismissed by Mark.
The CC is a powerless body whose main purpose is to resolve inter-community
disputes, it does no have any real capacity to represent the community when
Canonical is involved. There is no real Community on the Ubuntu formal
organization, the CC is a powerless group of community representatives
nominated by Mark. There is people there which really cares about the
community, however they can not do nothing.

Yes, Ubuntu is a successful FOSS project paid by Mark, I will not argue on
that.
Does it has a good relation with the broader FOSS world ? I don't think so.
Does it allow open discussion and capable Community participation ? I don't
think so.

[1] -
http://handypenguin.blogspot.com/2011/02/non-technical-driven-changes-to.html.
[2] - http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/03/01/%23ubuntu-meeting.html

I got a positive reply from a CC member, Michael  who shared my concerns.
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/03/01/%23ubuntu-meeting.html

I will evaluate a return to Ubuntu when besides Free Software supporting, it
also promotes open communication, transparency and proper community
representation.

Michael,
my reply answers your first question.

About Debian, I am not sure they have a policy user-friendly enough, the
last time I have checked it didn't an user friendly interface for the image
download.

I will probably get involved with Fedora.