gnome-zeitgeist-users team mailing list archive

Re: Patch to installation

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 16:00 +0100, Siegfried Gevatter wrote:
> The translations and GConf schema are installed automatically by
> python-distutils-extra, and the shell script approach doesn't really
> make any sense (if we were going to hardcode the path we can just do
> that in the executable itself, the whole point of the symlink is not
> having to hardcode anything).

Then I may be doing something wrong when installing since I don't get
translations and schemas installed.

It appears that when running

	setup.py install --skip-build

translations and schemas won't get installed. If I run it without using
--skip-build then translations and schema are installed. Is that to be
expected?

And my plan for the shell script (which I have yet to do) was to
dynamically replace the prefix at install time. But if you don't feel
that is a good idea I will of course do something else.

> The changed path for the .schemas in setup.cfg points to "/usr/etc"
> instead of "/etc"; the installation prefix is automatically added to
> it (using "/etc/gconf/schemas" (with a slash at the start) may work
> but I can't say for sure). In any case I'd like to keep this as
> /usr/share, you could use sed to replace it in the package creation
> script (if rpm supports arbitrary commands, I'm only familiar with
> Debian packaging).

If I put in /etc for the schema prefix then it ignores the --root prefix
so that isn't a solution. I'll figure something else out but this is
potentially a problem as (if I recall correctly) GConf won't accept
schemas in /usr by default.

> I'll look into getting ride of the symlinks.

Great - thank you.
--
Mads Villadsen <maxx@xxxxxxxxx>