gnome-zeitgeist team mailing list archive

Re: [Zeitgeist] use-case collection for GUADEC talk

2009/6/26 Thorsten Prante <thorsten@xxxxxxxxx>

>  Hi,
>

>  some sketchy use cases (feasible, experimental/limited, vision) attached.
>
> No diagrams and pics, yet :-(
>

> Comments?
>

> Thorsten
>

> Zeitgeist looks at information from the activity perspective.
>
> It‘s about the personal relationship of a user and his information,
> expressed via using, creating, or modifying, manipulating it.
>
> •       One of several indicators: Information gains relevance by use
> (recency, frequency/repetition, aggregated values above threshold). Repeated
> use doesn‘t necessarily mean „the same thing  twice“

This is very nice and correct....

> •       Focussing your attention on an information item indicates
> relevance.

This we keep out as long as we can't capture end times . Right now we cannot
really tell what has focus so we should not list it down yet

> Activities extend over time.

True

> Activities can be interrupted, postponed, put on hold … that‘s one of the
> rationales for histories

Again I would not put this into the definition of Zeitgeist (for its current
state)

> It‘s not only you doing something. You might be interested in what‘s going
> on around you. That‘s what notifications are for.

I think we should try to separate the definition of Zeitgeist and GNOME
Zeitgeist
We could start this by separating the use cases of what GNOME Zeitgeist can
do and what not. Everything it cannot do yet should be put under "Future Use
Cases" so we can discuss if it is going to be covered from the UI side or
the engine side.
 But great work