gnusim8085-devel team mailing list archive

Call for testing: i18nized UI on Windows

Hi all,

Short version - The internationalized UI of our app is available on
Windows now. Installers for testing at [1]

Long version -
There was a problem in the configure script (inherited from aclocal
macro) in regards with gettext detection. Due to this problem the app
was not compiled with support for i18n when doing cross-compilation.
Thanks to the help provided by Tor Lillqvist (tml at #gtk+ on
irc.gnome.org), I was able to find workaround to this problem. So this
means that we can ship all the translations in Windows version as
well. After doing some other code changes I was able to successfully
build and test the internationalized UI on Windows (wine as well as
native). A screenshot demonstrating the UI in French is available at
[2].

How to test:
1. Install GNUSim8085 using one of the installers.
2. Ideally if you have a localized version of Windows, and if
translation for that version is available for GNUSim8085, the UI
should be shown localized automatically.
3. In case you do not have a localized version of Windows or there is
some other problem you can try setting environment variable LANG with
appropriate code for the language you want to use. ex. fr_FR.UTF-8 or
gu_IN.UTF-8.
4. Depending on the version of Windows you may need to install
additional fonts and or language pack.

Notes:
1. GNUSim8085 uses many GTK+ stock items for menus/buttons. The
translations for these stock items are included in the GTK+ runtime
installer. Make sure you select 'Translations' component while
installing the runtime.

Please test as much as possible and provide feedback.

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~onkarshinde/
[2] http://people.ubuntu.com/~onkarshinde/GNUSim8085_i18n_Windows.png

Cheers,
Onkar