graphics-drivers-testers team mailing list archive

Re: Trouble using proprietary nVidia driver 304 in Bionic

On 2018-09-04 23:14, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

Is this list a sensible place for this question? If not, I'll go quietly, but I've been having trouble getting help on it and thought there would be expertise here. I've got an old Dell laptop with nVidia on the mobo. I use the proprietary 304 driver for a non-profit, where it's ability to probe monitor capabilities lets me triage donated monitors. I installed 18.04.1 LTS (bionic beaver) and I'm having trouble getting that driver on. It worked fine (and still does) in 16.04.5 (xenial) and I'm very happy I didn't mess with the xenial partition, but I know it's heading to "end of life"... The problem shows up when I do apt-get --assume-yes --quiet install nvidia-304 which I do in a script (and under script(1)) so that I can capture what happens when it reports
or been moved out of Incoming.

nvidia-304 : Depends: xorg-video-abi-11 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-12 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-13 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-14 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-15 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-18 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-19 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-20 but it is not installable or
xorg-video-abi-23
Depends: xserver-xorg-core but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: nvidia-settings (>= 331.20) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libcuda1-304 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: nvidia-opencl-icd-304 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. I note that xenial does not seem to have "xorg-video-abi" packages, but does have "xserver-xorg-core" installed. Bionic does not seem to have either one. Is there any way to get the prerequisites in Bionic?
--

Kevin O'Gorman #define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Hi Kevin,
The NVIDIA 304-series drivers do not support Xorg 1.20 as used on Ubuntu
Bionic, which is why you are getting those dependency errors (and why
304 is not available in the Bionic repository).  304 has also gone out
of support from NVIDIA, so it is highly unlikely that this situation
will ever change.  You will need to use the nouveau driver with Bionic
on this hardware.
Michael