Re: [Question #83117]: Volatile comonent in name scheme

Allan Bailey proposed the following answer:

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Mark Lin <question83117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> From: Mark Lin <question83117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Graphite-dev] [Question #83117]: Volatile comonent in name scheme
> To: graphite-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 1:56 PM
> New question #83117 on Graphite:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/83117
>
> Hello,
>
> This is just a curiosity question, for deciding a naming
> scheme, the doc suggests:
>
> "Volatile path components should be kept as deep into the
> hierarchy as possible"
>
> By volatile I am guessing in my case could be hostname, so
> the doc is suggesting instead of
>
> host1.cpu.1minload_avg
> host2.cpu.1minload_avg
>
> we should have it as:
>
> cpu.1minload_avg.host1
> cpu.1minload_avg.host2
>
> ?  Is that the right interpretation?  If so, what
> is the reason behind? Regex performance?

One reason is so that you can have aggregate graphs of all the host's
via the graph of cpu.1minload.*

If you have hosts in services, you could add a service name/group in
front of the hostname to get aggregate cpu.1minload_avg.svc.*  for all
the hosts in that service group.

-allan