Re: [Question #101327]: Webapp not pulling data from remote backends

chrismd proposed the following answer:
Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I took a few days off of
working on graphite :)

So I am planning to focus on documentation in March, I should get some
basic stuff about how to setup the cluster but here's a quick run down
of the problem.

The webapp serves requests using local whisper data files. Carbon-cache
receives data and writes it to local whisper data files. This means
carbon-cache and the webapp should be on the same machine. Carbon-relay
is just an application-level load balancer for when you have multiple
servers running carbon-cache.

If you want to use 2 servers in a cluster you should have both run
carbon-cache, both run the webapp, and at least one running carbon-relay
(both for high availability) with a relay-rules.conf file that specifies
when to send traffic to whichever carbon-cache instance.

Both webapp instances need to have CLUSTER_SERVERS = ["localhost",
"theotherguy"] but if you specify a port it must be the web server port.
This setting is used to talk to other webapp instances via HTTP.

Also both webapps need to have the default CARBONLINK_HOSTS setting,
just leave it unchanged.

Hopefully this will all make more sense when I finish the docs.