[Question #103115]: Will new data storage format preserve data points?

Graphite is great but summarizing data points like rrdtool does is not working for me. Will the new format preserve the data points?

Also could it be possible to write the new whisper to allow replacement of the low level storage functions? I would like to have my data stored in plain text CSV format so the data it can be used by other tools.  I will volunteer to write the CSV storage engine if some way existed to plug it in.