Re: [Question #103115]: Will new data storage format preserve data points?

chrismd proposed the following answer:
Sorry but I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about
how whisper rolls off expiring data into lower precision archives? That
is the only time whisper ever 'summarizes' values and it does so by
taking the average of the expiring data points. Other than that
situation whisper does not modify what it is given, it only stores it.
In graphite, aggregation or manipulation of data is done at rendering
time.

As for supporting a different storage format, I think this would be done
by writing a new module that supports the same API as whisper but
implements its own storage format. I prefer this approach instead of
adding to whisper because whisper is really just a low-level storage
format itself, not a storage abstraction library. The applications that
use whisper are free to choose whichever suitable alternative module.
This is already how Graphite supports RRD files. So if you wrote a
storage module that used CSV as the underlying format and exposes the
same API as whisper it would be very easy to add support for it in the
Graphite webapp and carbon.