[Question #136260]: clustered view with a different file retention policy

A lot of the time we look at sumSeries() across many servers. Keeping server-granularity metrics around for a long time is costly in terms of disk utilization, so we're also storing a cluster view with longer retention policies.

Today, our metrics are loaded into graphite en masse, and we manually calculate a sumSeries() and load that into the cluster view.

Soon, I'm planning on going direct-to-carbon.

In order to generate the cluster view, I'm envisioning a cron job that loads in all of the server metrics and calculates and sends back the cluster metrics.

Is there a slick way you can think of to make this process as easy as possible, or perhaps a totally different approach that might be better?

This ties in with my question about SCSI disk performance vs. RAM disk (https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/136096); if it's plausible to run off of SCSI with many nodes, then disk usage is much less of a concern than our current 15 GB RAM disk.

Thanks,
Pete